SHARE THIS PAGE:
POLICY CONTROL - DIFFERENTIATE, CONTROL AND MANAGE NETWORK RESOURCES
Policy is a critical provider of network control and differentiation. It has enabled service providers to optimise finite network resources and categorise end users into segments. These segments are then allocated specific quota allowances and / or speed entitlements (throttle). The service characteristics: quota and speed, need to evolve smoothly and be finely-tuned over time as the users’ needs adjust. These characteristics also need to adjust in line with the finite capabilities of the network itself as it evolves. There is no point in a service provider over-promising and under-delivering but network resources can be optimised.
Policy has become synonymous with “speed”, “quota allowances” “data limits”, “roaming control” (since roaming allowances can also be handled) as well as “speed boosts”, “service upgrades”, “shared data” and “anti-bill-shock” (since notifications of usage can be built in).
With 5G, Policy as a critical provider of network control and differentiation comes of age.
BENEFITS OF POLICY
As networks and user experiences have evolved, so too have expectations of end users. Controls need to be self-managed by those users in real-time via a service-provider’s app. User experiences can even be seamlessly managed in the background with zero-touch from the end user. Seamless, real-time control of user experiences can occur where a user is prioritised based on their segment or historical use of data, but in the context of where they are and what they are using “right now”. The impact can be dramatic in terms of impacts to operator Opex and Capex requirements, as well as end user quality of experience (churn reduction).
As we move rapidly to 5G, Policy control takes on an ever more critical role:
- Handling more device types and density of device populations connecting to the network spontaneously
- Defining and enabling “slices” for different segments and devices: some requiring occasional high bandwidth and others needing lower-bandwidth but ultra-reliability
- More sophisticated devices require more sophisticated, device-level control whereby a single device can attach at the same time to multiple slices and networks types (3G/4G/5G) depending on available network resources and service requirements.
- Serving as a key enabler of service continuity in hybrid (non-stand-alone) 3G/4G/5G networks.
- Backward compatibility, ensuring 4G service control in an evolved 5G environment. This also ensures readiness of 5G in an evolved 4G toolset.
- There are no more high-risk “waterfall” platform upgrades. Cloud-based, microservices- architecture evolves to provide simple “updates” on a per-microservice basis with no downtime.
- Openness and web-style, RESTful, interfaces expand use case opportunities with 3rd parties and ensures Policy can easily “talk” to other evolving 5G functions especially Charging.
- Enabling self-service with the use of intuitive GUIs and service “blueprints” to dramatically reduce service setup costs and opex.
- Greater ability to more easily define and test services in hours instead of weeks of months and scale automatically.
- The role of Policy has become more similar to an air-traffic controller in a busy airport. Different device segments connecting to different network “slices” create a mesh of service options and control requirements never seen before. Networks need to smoothly evolve to 5G while their 3G/4G assets work seamlessly with new 5G assets. Of course all of this needs to be smoothly monetised.
WHY OPENET FOR POLICY?
- Openet is the most credible and proven Vendor focused on combinational 4G/5G Real-time Policy and Charging Controls
- Openet has been an early advocate of virtualised systems and has been working with cloud technology for years. This comes of age in 5G and Openet has been a participant in driving 5G in its involvement with 3GPP.
- Openet has unmatched experience of helping operators all sizes to grow and assisting them to scale and evolve their businesses rapidly and move to cloud-based systems
- Openet prides itself on the “openness” and ease of setup of our solutions. It’s in our name and in our nature. This compatibility and ease of access have come of age with 5G.
OUR LATEST POLICY THOUGHT LEADERSHIP CONTENT
WEBINAR: 5G – NEW OPPORTUNITIES, NEW ENABLERS, NEW APPROACH TO POLICY
Watch this webinar to learn how policy for 5G will drive new use case and revenues, why 5G policy is much more than industry standards and what are the main opportunities from network slicing.VIEW ON DEMAND
WHITE PAPER: 5G - FROM HYPE TO REALITY
5G is more than just another “G” and needs to be considered as an ecosystem for a vast number of new use cases. In our latest white paper, we consider: Why 5G is not a “one size fits all” - Use cases beyond broadband and fixedClick here to download
WHITE PAPER: FROM 4G TO 5G - OPTIMISING EXISTING NETWORKS TO HELP DELIVER ON 5G
Getting ready for 5G means squeezing the most out of existing networks so they can co-exist with 5G. Customers may expect ubiquitous 5G coverage but in reality they’ll be using a combination of networks.Click here to download