In July 2010, the European Union passed legislation that required mobile operators to implement bill shock measures for data roaming in Europe. As the leading telecommunications operator in Austria with over 5.4 million mobile subscribers and 41% market share, A1 Telekom Austria wanted to comply with this legislation and avoid bill shock for its customers.
Meeting this legislation required that data usage and spend are tracked in real-time, and notifications sent to customers when they reach 80% of a pre-defined limit.
Openet supplied Policy Manager and Evolved Charging Products, combined with Balance Manager and Rating Manager Modules, enabling A1 Telekom Austria with the functionality to enable it to:
- Meet EU Data Roaming Regulations by improving transparency of customer data and roaming costs to avoid bill shock for prepaid as well as postpaid roaming subscribers
- Manage roaming data usage in real-time for subscribers, and enforce data volume or monetary caps
- Notify its subscribers when pre-defined thresholds have been met and provide the option to extend their usage beyond the cap
- Deliver an innovative roaming shared data offer by providing tapered rating for a group where price is determined based on the accumulated usage
- Notify and block subscribers identified as spammers
- Evolve to a flexible and efficient, virtualised, geo-redundant network
- Further solution evolution with Openet has included VoLTE and voice over WiFi
Using Openet’s Policy Manager and Evolved Charging, in a virtualised environment, A1 Telekom Austria was able to meet the EU data roaming regulations and their own Austrian regulations while enabling additional, flexible use-cases. Real-time capabilities and virtualisation have given A1 Telekom Austria the competitive edge to manage data balances, trigger notifications, and provide prepaid as well as postpaid subscribers with maximum flexibility when roaming in the EU.